Here’s a photo of some of our IT team, Natyam Jayanatha, Andre Garzia, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami and Sannyasin Siddhanathaswami.
Andre Alves Garzia left Kauai for a two-day journey back to his home and wife Lily in Niteroi (across the bay from Rio) in Brasil. He spent a month here working on many projects and his visit was a great success. Among the thing he accomplished:
- Setting up a small Linux Server called “Buddhi” to back up our web sites daily and provide “disaster recovery” assurance for all our web content.
- Progress on our new SivaSiva app including a Hindu Panchangam module that will actually be released as a separate app.
- assisting the Pilliyar Kulam with their internal monk’s only web site that helps with coordination of all our monastic activities.
- Upgrading the software originally created by the monks to process photos and create these TAKA posts. This will allow other monks to contribute very easily and efficiently, even from the road
- Adding support to the media manager software we use in house to create web content. New innovations include Audio books and the Hindu Lexicon and FAQ content support systems. (Stay tuned for announcements on these, as we release some new content in the days and weeks ahead)
- Kick off discussions and advance planning for two major new web content initiatives relating to virtual tours of the Aadheenam and opening up access to our art archives in more user friendly ways.
The monks and Andre want to thank all our Digital Dharma supporters for their contributions which allow up to keep these initiative moving forward, always free and always ad free!
Andre Alves Garzia is here on Kauai since December 16 and staying for a month working closely with Brahmanathaswami on various IT projects, including our in house Caption Writer now called TAKAL which is the tool we use to create these TAKA posts automatically and efficiently.
Andre has been working off and on for Himalayan Academy Publications since 2004, and this is his fourth trip to Kauai. Years ago Andre completed 7 years in University majoring in film and media production. But his talents always leaned toward toward software development and he preferred coding to the idea of becoming a movie director. It was a perfect match for the Ganapati Kulam needs where media and digital technology converge every day. Over the years Andre has been advancing in his career and last year he was chosen by the Mozilla Foundation to be the lead in a project funded by the Ford Foundation to spread web literacy in and around the Rio de Janeiro area. The grant expired and the program shifted to other locations on the globe. Andre continues to volunteer for Mozilla in Brasil to help web literacy in the community but is now almost full time working for Himalayan Academy Publication while launching his own company. He plans to focus on offering training and consulting programs for the next young generation of web programmers who will build the internet of the future.
His wife, Elisangela Mendonça de Andrade Garzia aka "Lily" is a journalist. She is currently a producer, writer and assistant to the internationally renowned Canadian journalist, Stephani Nolen, who is heading up the South American bureau of The Globe and Mail, published from Toronto and now stationed in Rio. The Globe and Mail is one of the few publications that still prints 5-6 days a week and gets delivered to your home. With Lily's help, Stephanie brings a lot of interesting stories from South American into Canadian homes.
Thanks to our annual Digital Dharma drive donors, we are slowing making progress on a brave new initiative to create a "Mahaapp" for Lord Siva and all Siva's children worldwide. It will be called the SivaSiva in line with this ancient and famous mantra from our tradition. This a sneak preview... full details are top secret until we release betas. it's a huge project because our users have encourage us to make a "one stop shop" app, like they do now in China and Korea (instead of releasing 20 small apps...) Stay tuned. Please continue to give generously to the Digital Dharma Fund to support our extensive development costs.
Andre will be with us for one month. The This is his fifth visit. His wife Elisangela, aka "Lily" will be arriving on the 25th to join him for 9 days.
Andre's current mission has been to create a new panchangam app that users can use on the web and on their smart phones, which can be integrated into our new Siva Siva app and also access directly on the web. Stay tuned for more as the new tool unfolds.
Back in 2009 Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami wrote an editorial for Hinduism Today magazine which was crafted to be an Introduction to Hinduism, especially for those who know little about our vast faith.
A few seekers in Malaysia loved it, and recently translated it into the Tamil language. We offer that translation today, and invite Tamil speaking CyberCadets to share this with friends. It is a most lucid and cogent summary of Hindu dharma.
You can visit the English language version HERE
And the Tamil version HERE
Archives are now available through 2001. Light colored days have no posts. 1998-2001 coming later.