One of the things Bodhinatha and Shanmuganathaswami are doing during their travels is talking with devotees and temple trustees all around the world about the advantages of establishing endowments with Hindu Heritage Endowment, the public service Gurudeva set up in 1994. We thought you would enjoy this brief overview of HHE from our most recent monastery newsletter.
The staff of Hindu Heritage Endowment are monks of Kauai’s Hindu Monastery. HHE is a US-based, public charitable trust created by Hindus for Hindus. It is not another institution asking for donations; it provides a way to empower your own projects. HHE maintains permanent endowments for Hindu initiatives and institutions worldwide. Its individual funds, now over 70, benefit temples, ashrams, monasteries, orphanages, homes for the elderly and distribution of Hindu books and literature. The assets are professionally overseen by Halbert, Hargrove/Russell LLC of Long Beach, California. New funds at HHE are easy to set up. There are no fees. Just go to www.hheonline.org
There are five reasons why Hindu Heritage Endowment is your best choice for giving to support Hinduism worldwide:
- Global Reach: HHE holds endowments that benefit Hindu institutions and activities worldwide.
- Life Income Plans: HHE offers charitable gift annuities and pooled income funds. The beneficiary institution can be located in any country.
- An Alternative to Direct Donations to Foreign Hindu Charities: You can support a foreign Hindu charity and receive the same tax advantages as when supporting a US charity.
- True Endowment Versus Quasi (board designated) Endowment: Temples and other institutions can create a true endowment at HHE. Principal invested this way cannot be spent by future boards of trustees and is protected from any lawsuit that might be brought against the temple.
- Greater Investment Opportunities: HHE’s investments are not limited to a single country or currency. Its portfolio is global in nature, with investments in equities and fixed income in a number of developed and emerging markets.