Siva Yogaswami

These are photos of Yogaswami and of his hermitage in Jaffna where he stayed towards the end of his life as he was recovering from a broken hip.

From The Guru Chronicles:

"We Learned Silence in His Presence"
In June of 1961, after three months in Jaffna General Hospital, Swami returned to Columbuthurai and moved into his new hermitage. People took turns caring for him. There was always someone on duty to look after Swami's needs, and Dr. Rajakaruna visited the ashram every morning to do physical therapy for Swami. In spite of this, he never regained the ability to walk.
As his strength returned, Swami would take excursions in his wheelchair. He was often sighted kilometers from his hermitage in his chair, pushed by Sivayogeswaran, nephew of Mr. Tirunavukarasu. He also moved about freely by car in the mornings. At noon, he would have lunch and then take a nap until 4pm. In the evenings he received devotees in the ashram.
A special activity each weekend was driving to the beach. He especially loved to visit the seaside in those days; it seemed to give him physical solace. A. Thillyampalam and his teenage son T. Sivayogapathy would arrive in their Rover with their driver at 4:30pm. The son's duty was to sponge Swami's body, dress him for the outing and ever-so-slowly move him into the wheelchair for the short ride to the road.
Swami sat in the front seat with the driver as they drove to the beach. Once there, they parked the car, with doors wide open and the skylight pulled back, so he could enjoy the sea breeze. From the seaside, Swami and his hosts proceeded to Sivathondan Nilayam, where, from the car, he would call Chellathurai over for a short talk.
Typically they proceeded to Nallur Temple. Parked at a distance in front of the teradi, Swami sang Sivapuranam and worshiped. Money, coconuts and camphor were sent inside the temple in a basket so that a special puja could be performed invoking the blessings of the Deity.
As sadhus and others invariably approached, Swami personally handed a plantain to each one, while, on the other side of the car, Thillyampalam reached into his coin purse, carefully prepared for just this moment, and gave each one a coin, ten or fifty rupees--a generous sum, as in those days an ample meal could be purchased with a single rupee. This remained the pattern until January of 1964.
People were no longer afraid of the once-fearsome sage, and many who had not dared approach him earlier now came. Often he sent them to the Sivathondan Nilayam.
Increasingly, efforts were made to ensure Swami's comfort. His legs were swollen with excess fluid, and it helped if someone rubbed them. He allowed only a few men to massage his legs, and they considered it such a blessing that they would have massaged forever if he had not sensed their fatigue and asked them to stop.

From Bodhinatha's Recent Trip


Laksha Shiva Panchakshara Homam at Hindu Temple of Minnesota

Twitter Update: Sadasivanathaswami and Senthilnathaswami had break…

Sadasivanathaswami and Senthilnathaswami had breakfast in Burlingame with members before flying to Europe BNOI8GzCUAERthS

Archives are now available through 2001. Light colored days have no posts. 1998-2001 coming later.

September 2013
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
Subscribe to RSS Feed
Audio Video Slideshows Images Publications Web pages