Guide For Hindus
Kauai's Hindu Monastery is home to Kadavul Temple and over 20 monks living under strict spiritual discipline and the guidance of Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami. It is a sacred place of pilgrimage for all Hindus seeking peace and divine experience.
Guests are encouraged to dress in traditional Hindu clothing when visiting. Alternatively, elegant clothing is permitted. No shorts, short dresses, tight-fitting yoga pants, t-shirts or tank tops. Polo shirts and long shorts that cover the knees are okay.
Some Other Important Guidelines
- Video and photography of the inside of Kadavul Temple is not permitted. All other areas may be photographed.
- We ask visitors to bring an umbrella as it rains often here.
- It is always prudent, even in paradise, not to leave valuables in your car.
- Please note, we do not provide meals at the monastery. You are welcome to use our local Kauai Dining Guide to help plan your meals while on pilgrimage.
- For sizeable groups planning a visit, please email here to coordinate your visit.
- For Hindus seeking audience with Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami, please click here for more information.
When to visit?
The front monastery area is open daily from 9am to noon. No additional time frame is open except to Hindus and formal students on pilgrimage who have made advance arrangements as described further below. Entry to our Kadavul Temple building is by reservation. See the banner at top.
Members of the Hindu religion and active students of our Master Course trilogy Supervised Study program may contact us in advance to arrange their visit as more formal pilgrims with special access to perform sadhanas at various times on the grounds on multiple days. Being on formal pilgrimage also grants access to occasional special pujas. Note, you cannot stay at the monastery itself.
Monastic Retreat Days
Please note that our monastery follows the traditional lunar calendar, panchangam. The dates listed below are known as "monastic retreat days," or days off. Hindus on pre-arranged pilgrimages should expected less access to sadhana activities on these monastic retreat days. Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami and the monks are generally not available to meet with guests on these days.
These retreat days are good ones for pilgrims to use to schedule their Kauai outings -- Napali Coast boat tours, trips to Waimea Canyon, beach day with the family, etc.July 2021
7-8, 15-16, 21-23, 29-30
6-7, 13-14, 19-21, 28-29
5-6, 12-13, 19-21, 28-29
3-4, 11-12, 18-20, 26-27
3-4, 10-11, 18-20, 26-27
1-2, 9-10, 16-18, 25-26, 31
1, 7-8, 15-17, 23-24
1-2, 9-10, 17-19, 24-25, 31
1, 8-9, 15-17
Sacred Rudraksha Grove
The monastery's sacred Rudraksha Grove, located at 7345 Kuamo'o Road, is open to visitors every day from 6am-6pm. Here, Hindus will find a small shrine to Lord Ganesha and a grove of rudraksha trees.