Plan Your Visit
(Please see banner at top of page for current restriction. Also, we have not resumed the weekly public guided tours.)
The front section of the monastery up to the pond/mountain lookout point is open from 9:00 AM - noon. All are welcome to meditate under the awesome banyan tree, explore the large information panels in the Banyan Mandapam which tell about our monastery and the Hindu religion, and browse through the many publications and Hindu religious supplies in our Mini-Mela visitor center. Always plan to come in the morning.
Entry to our Kadavul Hindu Temple building itself for worship/meditation must be reserved (see banner at top). Inside the temple, guests should ideally sit cross-legged, but never with legs stretched out towards the Deity. No video or photography is allowed of the inside of the temple. If you are not sure how a temple functions or what "puja" is, learn more. You can also watch the first ten-ish minutes and last ten-ish minutes of this video to get a sense of puja.
A self-guided tour is available for the front area. Download the map or pick it up along with an accompanying booklet at the entrance. The tour will give you a basic introduction to the monastery and its areas of service. The property closes at noon.
If you are a Hindu planning to visit on one morning or for a longer pilgrimage, please read our additional guidelines here.
If you are a passenger on a cruise that is docking at Nawiliwili, Kauai's ocean port, please read our additional guidelines here.
Guests are encouraged to dress in traditional Hindu clothing when visiting. Alternatively, elegant clothing is permitted. No shorts, short dresses, tight-fitting yoga pants, t-shirts or tank tops. Polo shirts and long shorts that cover the knees are okay.
Some Other Important Guidelines
- Video and photography of the inside of Kadavul Temple is not permitted. All other areas may be photographed.
- We ask visitors to bring an umbrella as it rains often here.
- It is always prudent, even in paradise, not to leave valuables in your car.
- Please note, we do not provide meals at the monastery. You are welcome to use our local Kauai Dining Guide to help plan your meals while on pilgrimage.
- For sizeable groups planning a visit, please email here to coordinate your visit.
- For Hindus seeking audience with Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami, please click here for more information.
Public Guided Tours
(These have not resumed.) You can take the self-guided tour described above.
For answers to frequently asked questions about Kauai's Hindu Monastery, click here.