Tiruketeeswaram is one of the Pancha Eswaram temples dedicated to Lord Siva and venerated by Saivites throughout the world. Its famous tank, the Palavi tank, is of ancient antiquity and was restored from the ruins more recently. Literary and scriptural evidence in the Tirumurai dates this temple back to the 300BC to 1500AD when the temple was well kept by the Pallava, Pandyan and Chola Dynasties. Tirunyana Sambandhar sang about the greatness of this Temple, as did the 8th century Nayanar, Sundarar during the Sangam period. The Portuguese destroyed the temple in 1589 and for over 400 years this ancient edifice remained dormant in the scriptures and Tirumurai songs. Through these references, the original site was rediscovered in 1894. A Hindu reformer named Arumuka Navalar came to revive and rebuild the Temple at the request of the local Tamil people. The current restoration work is tremendous and will restore the greatness of this ancient Saivite abode. Aum Namah Sivaya.
3 Responses to “Reconnecting With the Ancient Tiruketeeswaram Temple”
Archives are now available through 2001. Light colored days have no posts. 1998-2001 coming later.