More Info

Bringing Forth Our Saivite Scriptures

Aum Namah Sivaya

Today we'd like to announce the release of our latest Web App, which works to fulfill one of Gurudeva's long-standing ideas. As Stated in the Nanadinatha Sutras:

"SŪTRA 287: OUR ŚAIVITE HINDU BIBLE
All my devotees revere as scripture The Holy Bible of the Śaivite Hindu Religion—which includes excerpts from the Vedas, the Āgamas, Tirumantiram, Tirumurai and Tirukural—and guide their lives by its wisdom. Aum
"

So click here to view the Saivite Hindu Bible. This online anthology of Hindu Scripture includes english translations of some of our most important and profound texts, with more to come! It includes excerpts from the Vedic Hyms, the Upanishads, the Kamika, Raurava, Sarvajnanottara and Mrugendra Agamas, the Sri Nandikesa Kasika, Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, the Tirumurai and more. Dive in and start discovering what your scriptures are really about. Aum.

10 Responses to “Bringing Forth Our Saivite Scriptures”

1. Nandeenee says:

Thank you for this.
    Om

2. Devi Ravindraraj says:

WOW! This is a major accomplishment!!

3. Pethuraja says:

“AUM”!.

4. Tejasinha Sivalingam says:

Wonderful! Aum Aum

5. Easawran says:

Sincerely wish to convey my view that retaining the original version including presentation(s), name, values and structure, which show that we have high regards about our past histroy, kownledge and respect to our forefathers.
    Adopting a new name such as “Hindu Bible”, will be taking a new form of deviation to future generations, and they might (will) interpret or understand that it’s part or branch of original Bible which has been emebded historically with other of world/followers/religion. “SŪTRA 287: OUR ŚAIVITE HINDU BIBLE.
    Please humbly requesting to avoid and not to make mistake, becos you are all sincere devotees of Himalayan Parambara, not from Bible parambara.

OM NAMASHIVAYA
    OM NAMASHIVAYA
    OM NAMASHIVAYA

6. Muthu says:

Thank you. This is precious.

7. Vanita says:

I appreciate the hard work put in this project.
    Unfortunately I will not recommend this app to my friends due to the wide use of the word ‘Bible’.
    The foremost meaning of bible is- Christian scriptures. I understand that the dictionary does provide other meanings such as a religious scripture but generally it will not be understood as such.
    I remember gurudeva asking his devotees to change their names to saivite names, even if it is a Vaishnavite Hindu name. He wanted it to be pure saivism.
    In my humble opinion, the word bible can be replaced by other appropriate words.
    I love our family of Hindu monks.
    Thanks for your tireless effort.

8. Easan says:

Just reading the first section on Agni is thrilling and affirms what Gurudeva taught us all these years about the homa fire.

These days the word “bible” means an authoritative book. There is the Bible of Golf, the Chess Players’ Bible, Bridge Players’ Bible, The Plumbers Bible of Home repair, etc. In the interfaith work I’ve done, sometimes I’m asked, “do Saivites have a bible?” Now, I will be happy to say ‘yes, here it is.’

Similarly in interfaith work, when I tell a pastor I am with Saiva Siddhanta Church, I often see him visibly relax when he hears the word ‘church’, as it has positive connotations in the US. A church member is responsible to a group, tries to live a good life, etc. All the positive assumptions are enlivened. There are, of course, Buddhist churches too. Church means house of worship.

The monks of the Paramparai continue the mission of integrating the best of the East with the best of the West.

9. Rajen Manick says:

Great project indeed!

10. Deva Seyon says:

What a wonderful fulfillment of a vision! The sheer volume and oceanic depths of resources from this site and the production coming out of this small group of monks is more than amazing. I just received my new copy of Hinduism Today in the mail yesterday as well! Gift after gift.

I was browsing the comments this morning and I wanted to thank Easan Katir for commenting on his ecumenical work (the perspective of “Unity in Diversity” regarding language and the word bible & church). I worked in this area years ago with a very diverse group and came to the same conclusion. It seems to be true that a greater harmony is accomplished through the use of universal terminology and the understanding that as humans we are very similar in our needs but diverse in our approach, and as such language can be a bridge. Not by surrendering our individuality but by showing our similarities and reaching across the road to our neighbors. Language is dynamic, not static, is still growing, evolving, and reflects the evolution of the society of any age. I have three (Hindu) grandchildren in Universities around the world right now and they are not nearly as interested in our differences as they are in the unifying building blocks to understand and befriend their broader human family of youth. The global stage of the next generation will determine the definitions of tomorrow and the connotations and combinations that will result. For the Sage, this is probably as simple as kindergarten, but for us, we must continue to work and refashion our future and give our youth the tools to create a more peaceful planet.

As far as the United States is concerned, I remember all kinds of fear and misunderstandings when Hinduism started to “land” in America. I actually remember having to stand out in front of one of the first temples built in the United States in New York to protect it from brick throwers who wanted no part of something they didn’t understand in their neighborhood. We went through a rough period until we talked to all the neighbors and educated them on the fact that we were more like them than they realized. We had our scriptures, our Temples, our religious leaders, and a moral code of conduct and that our rituals were actually rather similar (Italian Catholic neighborhood) in many ways. Yes, there were differences but we respected them and their beliefs and in America, the land of the free we were asking for thiers etc. etc.

I remember when I first became a student of Gurudeva Sivayasubramuniyaswami, who was establishing his monasteries and “Church” in the United States – Hinduism had no real presence, no voice in America. In fact, many immigrant Hindus denied even being Hindus! I believe Gurudeva and the monks could see ahead, way ahead, and knew this would not bode well for the young Hindu families that were going to be coming to America in larger and larger numbers during the great diaspora that was just starting to happen. How could the Hindu children and the Hindu institutions in America survive and grow and take their place here among the established religions?

As I remember it – it was with a great deal of study and investigation into the constitutional laws protecting the rights of religions in America, that Gurudeva and the monks discovered words like “church” and “bible” and “temple” were general terms representing a faith, its scripture, and place of worship. Christianity didn’t have a monopoly on those terms. Just because the Jewish faith called their religious sites temples that didn’t mean all temples in America had to be Jewish. Just because Christians called their scriptures a bible didn’t mean all bibles were Christian. If you look to the etymology of the term bible the probable source is Egyptian. A Church was seen, according to the constitution as an institutionalized legitimate religion (of any denomination), and also a social or even political force: (with a deep understanding and commitment to the separation of church and state). This was important in incorporating Hindu organizations and temples in America along with specific guidelines and that gave them all the rights and a voice that the founding fathers of America intended in their fundamental declaration of religious freedom for all.

I don’t want to get carried away here but in my discussion with many, many guests who visit our local temple and ask about these terms – I have come to deeply appreciate and understand with compassion that there can be challenging old memory patterns and old connotations with certain words – Even patterns of abuse by fundamentalist conversion efforts. This not only includes words but symbols – after all the Nazis tried to hijack the swastika! It would seem important to do the work and in some cases the hard work of reprograming ourselves with guidance from those who can see clearly, and understand that by using a more intelligent and universal definition of words and/or symbols we can promote not only our own interests but also the greater good as well.